History of the San Leandro Yacht Club

Timeline
1000BC   1542   1769   1772   1776   1777   1820   1821   1837   1842   1846   1848   1850   1853   1862   1872   1895   1896   1909   1910   1911   1913   1922   1927   1928   1935   1937   1956   1963   1964   1965   1971   1972   1974   1975   1976   1977   1981   1982   1983   1984   1985   1986   1987   1988   1989   1990   1992   1997   1998   1999   2000   2001   2002   2003   2004   2005   2006   2007   2008   2009   2010   2011   2012   2013

1000BC
Earliest indications of Native American settlements in the area, based upon the age of the oyster shell (burial?) mounds they left behind.

Back to the Timeline

1542AD
João Rodrigues Cabrilho (also known by his Spanish name Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo) claimed California in the name of Spain. This is likely the flag he used.
The Burgundy Cross
Back to the Timeline

1769
October 31 - Captain Gaspar de Portolà discovered San Francisco Bay. If you have trouble finding the Gate from sea, remember that for 227 years, the fleets of both Britain and Spain did not find it either.

Back to the Timeline

1772
March 20 - The area was discovered by the Spanish soldier Captain
Pedro Fages and the Spanish Catholic priest Father Juan Crespi. The San Leandro Yacht Club has been discovered by many bands of yachting enthusiasts looking for fun and adventure.
Back to the Timeline

1776
June 28 - Thomas Jefferson presented a draft, already edited by John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman and Robert Livingston, to the Continental Congress. 39 revisions and 6 days later it was
adopted. The San Leandro Yacht Club is a pretty independent bunch too.

Independence Headline

September 9 - The Second Continental Congress officially changed the name of our nation from "United Colonies" to "United States". The San Leandro Yacht Club has never changed its name.

Back to the Timeline

1777
June 14 - The first official flag of the United States of America was adopted. The San Leandro Yacht Club proudly flies our nation's flag whenever the clubhouse is open for business.
Click for the full history behind Old Glory.
Back to the Timeline

1820
August 3 - Part of the area (43,000 acre
Rancho San Antonio) was granted by the Spanish to retired Spanish soldier Don Luis Maria Peralta. Some accounts on the web report other sizes of this grant, including 44,000, 44,800 and 48,000 acres.
Peralta Hacienda Historical Park
Peralta House

Back to the Timeline

1821
Mexico broke away from Spain, 11 years after declaring their independence at midnight on the night of the 15th of September in 1810. Gradually, their new flag was raised over parts of California. Many visitors to SLYC also find it hard to break away, especially after raising a few flags.
Mexican Flag
Back to the Timeline

1837
The first documented settlement in the area was established by Don Joaquin Estudillo.
Don Joaquin Estudillo

Back to the Timeline

1842
Part of the area (6,830 acre
Rancho San Leandro) was granted by Spain to retired Spanish soldier Don Joaquin Estudillo.
Back to the Timeline

1846
June 14 - The flag of the California Republic was first raised in Sonoma by a group of American settlers who were not pleased by Mexican rule. Several members of the San Leandro Yacht Club are not pleased by any rules.
The Bear Flag
Back to the Timeline

1848
February 2 - California was ceded by Mexico to the United States in the
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The San Leandro Yacht Club would be happy to negotiate a treaty with you.

July 4 - The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was proclaimed, a surprisingly short time following the original negotiation and signing considering the Mexican government had collapsed and the US negotiator had ignored being recalled (and nearly all of his other instructions too).

Back to the Timeline

1850
September 9 - California became the 31st state (without ever being a territory). Typical of the chaos of the gold rush, during the next 5 years the capital was in San Jose (twice), Monterey, Vallejo (thrice), Sacramento and Benicia before it was moved to Sacramento for good in 1854. The San Leandro Yacht Club has never been moved from our San Leandro Marina home.

Back to the Timeline

1853
April 6 - Parts of Santa Clara and Contra Costa counties were taken away to create Alameda County. The San Leandro Yacht Club will make boaters from any of these three counties feel right at home.

Back to the Timeline

1862
May 5 - (
Cinco de Mayo) celebrates a Mexican victory over France. Members of the San Leandro Yacht Club can often be heard toasting the bravery of our Mexican friends on this day.
Back to the Timeline

1872
March 21 - The City of
San Leandro was incorporated (100 years and a day after its discovery).
San Leandro City History

Back to the Timeline

1895
Thomas Mulford filed title to the Oyster Beds here at Mulford Canal. The beds were often plagued by "oyster pirates" such as Jack London. Jack later reversed roles and protected the oyster beds from pirates. The San Leandro Yacht Club will happily make oysters available on prior notice.
California Registered Historical Landmark 824
Back to the Timeline

1896
May 12 - The Pacific Inter-Club Yacht Association (PICYA) was
formed in San Francisco, to improve communication between yacht clubs, provide uniform racing rules, and encourage yachting. The charter members were: California Yacht Club (founded in 1893), Corinthian Yacht Club (founded in 1886), Encinal Yacht Club (founded in 1890), Pacific Yacht Club (founded in 1873) and San Francisco Yacht Club (founded in 1869). Information about all these yacht clubs can be found from our San Francisco Bay Area Yacht Club List page.
Back to the Timeline

1909
June 5 - The first San Leandro Cherry Festival was held to celebrate an abundant cherry harvest. It was so successful, it is still celebrated today, on the first full weekend in June, just a few steps from our club. The San Leandro Yacht Club stocks Maraschino Cherries for use in some beverages.

Back to the Timeline

1910
Charges of voter fraud are leveled against the San Leandro Cherry Festival. One of the highlights of the festival is the selection of a queen. This selection is based upon which candidate can sell the highest number of votes (an interesting political precept in and of itself). The Oakland Enquirer discovered that, while ballots it published were counted as one vote, those published through the San Leandro Reporter were counted as six votes. At times, members of the San Leandro Yacht Club have been known to have trouble counting too.

Back to the Timeline

1911
The California State Legislature adopted this as the state flag.
California Flag
Back to the Timeline

1913
January 15 -
Lloyd Vernet Bridges was born in San Leandro. Blacklisted by the House Un-American Activities Committee as an admitted Communist, he went on to become better known as Mike Nelson, the star of Sea Hunt and skipper of Argonaut. Several members of the San Leandro Yacht Club have underwater adventures.
Back to the Timeline

1922
March 21 - Russell Albion Meyer ("King Leer") was born in San Leandro. He went on to direct Immoral Mr. Teas, Vixen and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Back to the Timeline

1927
The City of
San Leandro was scandalized by Mary Lou Palmer when she withdrew from the Cherry Festival Queen contest to join a vaudeville show heading to Australia. Although, to the best of our memories, there has never been a vaudeville show at the San Leandro Yacht Club, several karaoke nights have come pretty close.

September 7 - Charles Lindbergh opened the nearby Oakland Airport.

Back to the Timeline

1928
The Yacht Racing Association (YRA) was formed by the PICYA.

The Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco was formed by the PICYA.

Back to the Timeline

1935
January 4 - Today's weekly edition of the San Leandro News (the annual subscription rate of $1 was a bargain over the single copy price of 5 cents) notes that L. C. McKissick had been appointed "Pontiac dealer" by General Motors.

The Northern California Power Cruisers Association was formed.

Back to the Timeline

1937
May 20 - Amelia Earheart left on her now famous ill-fated attempt to fly around the world from the nearby Oakland Airport, which she used as her base for many of her most important flights.

Back to the Timeline

1956
A future SLYC founder and commodore, Lee McKissick was Commodore of the Northern California Power Cruiser Association (NCPCA).

Back to the Timeline

1963 - Lee McKissick - Commodore
January 3 - The San Leandro Yacht Club was founded by five yachtsmen of vision meeting in the upstairs conference room of the McKissick Pontiac Dealership on East 14th Street in
San Leandro as a paper club.
Minutes

Hans Schneider reflects "The first initiation fee was set at $10 and annual dues were $25. Meetings were held onboard one of the members boats or sometimes in someone's garage..."

March 15 - The first election and installation of officers for the San Leandro Yacht Club was held at San Leandro City Hall.
Minutes

June 19 - The design of the San Leandro Yacht Club Burgee was approved. The San Leandro Yacht Club flies a triangular, red bordered burgee with a white field, the hoist and fly divided by red lines into 4 regions of equal area. Centered at the crossing is a red compass rose, with 4 of its points aligned to the dividing lines. Minutes
SLYC Burgee
June 29 - The San Leandro Yacht Club and the City of San Leandro co-hosted the celebration marking the grand opening of the San Leandro Marina.
Letter

Back to the Timeline

1964 - Al Weikert - Commodore
Future SLYC Commodore Lee McKissick Jr in Tika was NCPCA Record of Overall Winner.

Back to the Timeline

1965 - Jim Frazier - Commodore
SLYCs own Dr. James Woolley in Isa Isa was NCPCA Record of Overall Winner.

BOAT (Boat Owners Associated Together) was formed. They are now known as RBOC (Recreational Boaters Of California). According to another account, this happened in 1964.
RBOC Burgee
Hans Schneider reflects again "In 1965 several past presidents of PICYA (Pacific Inter Club Yacht Association) recognized the necessity for an organization to make legislators aware of boat owners needs, and to guard against adverse Bills in the Legislature. So, they formed a non-profit corporation: BOAT (Boat Owners Associated Together). In 1983 the name of BOAT was changed to RBOC to eliminate confusion with BOAT US, a commercial organization. RBOC directors meet monthly and then go to the Capital to meet the various legislators who are concerned with boating. Please consider contributing to RBOC..."

Back to the Timeline

1966 - Lee McKissick Jr - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1967 - Steve Marciel - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1968 - Chuck Clemens - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1969 - Charlie Olson - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1970 - Steve Firestone - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1971 - Leo King - Commodore
June -
San Leandro Mayor Jack Maltester offered resolution #41 to the Conference of Mayors held in Philadelphia, entitled "Withdrawal from Vietnam and Reordering of National Priorities" which first brought John Kerry and John O'Neill to the national stage. The resolution was passed after heated debate.

November - Planning began for the construction of the San Leandro Yacht Club Clubhouse.
Back to the Timeline


1972 - Bob Stewart - Commodore
January 29 - The first presentation of clubhouse plans was made to the San Leandro Yacht Club membership.

March 22 - The City of
San Leandro adopted this flag (100 years after its incorporation).
San Leandro Flag
The San Leandro Centennial Perpetual Trophy was jointly commissioned by the City of San Leandro and the San Leandro Yacht Club to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the founding of the City.

The first San Leandro Invitational Regatta was held for the coveted San Leandro Centennial Perpetual Trophy.

Back to the Timeline

1973 - Ken Thorne - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1974 - Hank Schatmeier - Commodore
March 11 - The San Leandro Yacht Club entered into a lease agreement with the City of
San Leandro for our future clubhouse.
News Clipping
May - The San Leandro Yacht Club officially broke ground on the construction of the clubhouse.
News Clipping
SLYC Groundbreaking
San Leandro Mayor Jack Maltester has the shovel,
Commodore Hank Schatmeier is on his right (our left).


Hans Schneider is still reflecting "...some enthusiastic members approached the City of San Leandro to lease some land and build a clubhouse. The members loaned the club money, interest free, and the work of building the clubhouse was done by volunteers. When you came into the clubhouse in those days the floor was concrete painted red. The bar was from plywood, tables were cable wheels covered with plywood, the chairs were from Goodwill, and everybody was happy to have a place to meet. The early Board of Directors decided not to have a galley, but later on there was a need to bring in the non-active members so a dinner once a month was introduced. A donated pool table, covered with a sheet of plywood was used as a serving table, our silverware was plastic, paper plates were used for easy cleanup, and meals were cooked at home and brought in. In the clubhouse were long lines to feed the hungry! For membership drives we held pancake breakfasts. To cook the eggs, bacon, and pancakes, members lent their gas stoves from the boats. Everybody enjoyed these adventures. Later the First Mates were founded and they made money through flea markets and bake sales, etc. to buy real silverware and dishes for the club. This is just a small part of the history of our club."

Back to the Timeline

1975 - Hank Lucas - Commodore
May - The May Puff & Putt was accidentally marked as the June edition.
June - The Puff & Putt newsletter was marked as June 1975 second issue.

July 26 - The first event in the new clubhouse was a spaghetti feed attended by 100 members and guests.

October 4 - The San Leandro Yacht Club, over 170 members strong, officially dedicated the newly completed clubhouse.
San Leandro Yacht Club club house.

October - The first presentation of the San Leandro Yacht Club Skunk Flag was to Port Captain Ray Mitchell to honor the style with which a crew member on LORCAT fell overboard while entering the harbor, in full view of the Oyster Point Yacht Club hosts of our cruise-out. These traditions (both the flag and falling overboard) have been carried on through the years and continue today. Naturally, the tales have grown somewhat taller as the years have passed.
Back to the Timeline

1976 - Gene Hildeman - Commodore
April 24-25 - Sign ups for the Treasure Island Cruise-out were cut off after more than 100 members (the TI CPO Club limit) had signed up.

May 22 - The SLYC 35-foot (tallest in the marina), telescoping crank up flagpole with mast and yardarm was installed.

June 11 - The SLYC Board of Directors established the formal proceedures for awarding the
Skunk Flag.

June 19 - The SLYC barbeque was completed in time for the Club dinner and Berkeley Yacht Club cruise-in.
Back to the Timeline

1977 - Gene Hildeman - Commodore
April 15 - The Good Seamanship award was established for rescues, salvage or other good deeds in general. The emblem of the award will be (naturally) a big fat gold star on a field of blue.

June - New cabinets were installed in the galley.

June - Plan's to build Horatio's restaurant were announced.

June - One entry in the Bass Derby was caught in the outboard motor well of a sailboat during a race.

July 16 - The barbeque steak dinner charged an astronomical $4 per plate.

August - The 1st Good Seamanship award was awarded by the Commodore to Fleet Captain Ray Mitchell and House Chairman Lori McSkimming for their successful rescue of boaters stranded on the rocks south of the San Leandro Marina.

Back to the Timeline

1978 - Len Kahler - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1979 - Chuck Houck - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1980 - Bruce Nesbit - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1981 - Bonnie Whitten - Commodore
Plans for the construction of the San Leandro Yacht Club guest dock and negotiations with the City of
San Leandro were initiated.
Back to the Timeline

1982 - George Cummings - Commodore
Gene Hildeman, past Commodore of San Leandro Yacht Club, was Commodore of the Northern California Power Cruisers Association (NCPCA).

Back to the Timeline

1983 - Walt Kupper - Commodore
BOAT changed its name to RBOC (see
1965 for the full story). The San Leandro Yacht Club has never changed its fine name.
Back to the Timeline

1984 - Lee Mocker - Commodore
The San Francisco Bay Area District 14 of The International Order of the Blue Gavel (IOBG) was formed.

February - The San Leandro Yacht Club guest dock was officially completed.

San Leandro Yacht Club club house.
A recent photo of the San Leandro Yacht Club guest dock and club house.
Back to the Timeline

1985 - Dave Hampton - Commodore
September -
Good Seamanship Award went to Bill Kupper, Emerson Jones and Mike Dixon for their rescue of a fellow SLYC member.
Back to the Timeline

1986 - Hans Schneider - Commodore
San Leandro Yacht Club joined The International Order of the Blue Gavel (IOBG).

May 21 - The
Deed of Trust for the San Leandro Centennial Perpetual Trophy was officially awarded to the San Leandro Yacht Club.
Back to the Timeline

1987 - Michael Dixon - Commodore
Lee Mocker in Gloria Lee brought the NCPCA Henry Leavett Perpetual Trophy to San Leandro Yacht Club.

San Leandro Yacht Club won the first NCPCA Ken Kerndt Novice Club Award.

Back to the Timeline

1988 - Del Clausen - Commodore
Charlie Olson, a past Commodore of San Leandro Yacht Club, was Commodore of the Northern California Power Cruisers Association (NCPCA).

Ted Chapman in Sea Sharp brought the NCPCA Henry Leavett Perpetual Trophy to San Leandro Yacht Club.

San Leandro Yacht Club held the NCPCA Johnson & Joseph Power Cruiser Trophy.

San Leandro Yacht Club also won the second NCPCA Ken Kerndt Novice Club Award.

June 3 - Dave Karp, Mayor of the City of
San Leandro, issued a Commendation congratulating the San Leandro Yacht Club on our silver anniversary.
Back to the Timeline

1989 - Bill Henderson - Commodore
San Leandro Yacht Club shared the NCPCA Johnson & Joseph Power Cruiser Trophy with the San Joaquin Yacht Club.

Back to the Timeline

1990 - "Doc" Oberly - Commodore
Barbara Chapman, a future Commodore of the San Leandro Yacht Club, was Commodore of the Northern California Power Cruisers Association (NCPCA).

June 14 - Alameda County adopted this flag.
Alameda County Flag
Back to the Timeline

1991 - Olivia Yehling - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1992 - Ben Castricone - Commodore
October 31 - The entrance channel to the San Leandro Marina was
officially named the "Jack D. Maltester Channel" for the courageous former mayor of San Leandro (see 1971).
Back to the Timeline

1993 - Al Carrick - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1994 - Chuck Yehling - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1995 - Robbie Robinson - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1996 - Barbara Chapman - Commodore
Back to the Timeline

1997 - Chuck Yehling - Commodore
The California State Legislature named
San Leandro the Sausage Capital of California. Sausage grilling is a common sight at the San Leandro Yacht Club.
Back to the Timeline

1998 - Bob Hungerford - Commodore
October 24 - Shelia Young, Mayor of the City of
San Leandro, issued a Commendation congratulating the San Leandro Yacht Club on our 35th anniversary and thanked the club for our positive contributions to the community.
Back to the Timeline

1999 - Renate Rupprecht - Commodore
The San Leandro Cherry Festival was moved from the downtown area to the freshly renovated Marina district. The San Leandro Yacht Club has never moved from our ideal Marina district location.

Back to the Timeline

2000 - Allan Graham - Commodore
December 17 - The San Leandro Yacht Club website was established.
Back to the Timeline

2001 - Gary Garino - Commodore
February 22 - The Internet Archive first
archived our web site in their Wayback Machine.

June 4 - Our lease with the City of San Leandro was amended to be month-to-month.

Back to the Timeline

2002 - Lee Stevens - Commodore
The San Leandro Yacht Club began forging close ties with the
Peralta Sail and Power Squadron to bring the finest boating safety and seamanship training available to boaters in and near San Leandro.

September – SLYC Annual Invitational Regatta – race for the Centennial Perpetual Trophy – 1st Place went to Dale Snearly on the 36 Double D's of San Leandro Yacht Club.
Back to the Timeline

2003 - Lee Stevens - Commodore
September 6 – SLYC Annual Invitational Regatta – race for the Centennial Perpetual Trophy – 1st Place went to Ben Mews of Island Yacht Club.

October 5 - The City of
San Leandro proclaimed this "San Leandro Yacht Club Day".

October 5 - The San Leandro Yacht Club celebrated our 40th anniversary. Our beloved Mayor Sheila Young read and presented the San Leandro Yacht Club Day Proclamation. Then, our esteemed representative to Sacramento, 18th Assembly Member, the Honorable Ellen M. Corbett read and presented Resolution No. 2586 commending San Leandro Yacht Club on the positive impact it has had on the community of San Leandro.
Ellen M. Corbett move your mouse Lee Stevens move your mouse Sheila Young move your mouse
(Point just below their chins for their names)
Also in attendance were 9 of our past commodores, with pride and camaraderie clearly showing in every face.
Walt Kupper 1983 Hans Schneider 1986 Al Carrick 1993 Barbara Chapman 1996 Renate Rupprecht 1999 Lee Stevens 2002-2003
Walt Kupper 1983 Charlie Olson 1969 Steve Firestone 1970 move your mouse Gene Hildeman 1976-1977 Lee Stevens 2002-2003
(Point just below their chins for their names)
(Full Size Image)

Back to the Timeline

2004 - Faye Stevens - Commodore
January 17 - The new
San Leandro History Museum & Art Gallery opened. Hours are Thursday-Sunday 11:00-15:00.
Press Release


May 2 – SLYC Secretary Fran Moon ran the Avenue of the Giants Half Marathon with Team in Training, finishing eighth in her division and raising over $14,000 (Top Fundraiser) for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

September 11 – SLYC Annual Invitational Regatta – race for the Centennial Perpetual Trophy – 1st Place went to Lee Stevens on Caper of San Leandro Yacht Club.

October-November – The San Leandro Yacht Club burgee and Skunk Flag were sailed to Cabo San Lucas and back as part of Baha Ha-Ha XI on sailing vessel 36 Double D’s, finishing in a tie for third place (they were entry #100). This stunt set a new record for the lengths some will go to redeem themselves after receiving the coveted Skunk Flag.
Back to the Timeline

2005 - Dena Rutan-Snearly - Commodore
January – The first lime from the Faye Stevens Lime Tree Grove on the clubhouse deck was picked and squeezed directly into a margarita. The San Leandro Yacht Club has been scurvy free ever since.

January 10 - The San Leandro Yacht Club website attained a search engine Page Rank of 5, the highest rank of any yacht club in the San Francisco Bay Area.

April 22 - The ranking of the San Leandro Yacht Club website temporarily rose up from 5 to 6.

July 4 - In the wee hours of the morning, our Fleet Captain proposed to our Commodore.

September 3 - In the first ever wedding of two active board members, Commodore Dena Rutan and Fleet Captain Dale Snearly were joined in holy matrimony. Two other board members were dispatched to chaperone the Mediterranean sailing honeymoon in order to insure their storied flamboyance would in no way detract from the club's spotless international reputation.
Back to the Timeline

2006 - Bruce Moon - Commodore
January 15 - The Commodore and Fleet Captain completed
P. F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (26.2 miles) from Phoenix, through Scottsdale and finishing in Tempe Arizona. We'll go the distance for you, too!

April 5 - The glass door cooler was installed behind the bar and was immediately put to work. Service from our hard working bartenders should now be even faster than before.
Back to the Timeline

2007 - Dena Snearly - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2008 - Dale Snearly - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2009 - Dan Williams - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2010 - Bruce Moon - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2011 - Julie Xeloski-Brooker - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2012 - Norm Pennington - Commodore

Back to the Timeline

2013
Planning for the San Leandro Yacht Club 50th anniversary has already begun.

Back to the Timeline

Special thanks to all those who helped make this page possible (some perhaps unwittingly)!
Alameda County Sesquicentennial History
Alamedainfo.com Alameda, CA information and guide
The California State Military Museum
The City of San Leandro
Donald Laird's California State Historical Landmarks
Michael Smuda's FOCa homepage (Flags of California)
Past Issues of the Puff 'n' Putt
San Leandro Historical Society
The Wayback Machine web page archive
Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia)


Suggestions? Tell the webmaster all about it.
Copyright © 2003-2012 San Leandro Yacht Club. All rights reserved.